Makes 6 servings
6 pieces of chicken|
½ medium onion, loosely chopped
5 garlic cloves, peeled
6 cups of water
1 ½ Tsp salt
1 medium chayote, peeled & cut in slices
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 cup green beans, tops removed
7 guajillo chiles
2 amarillo chiles
1 chilcostle chile
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped|
¼ medium onion
1 black pepper
1 pinch of cumin
1 Tsp corn oil or lard
3 yerbasanta leaves or 1 bunch cilantro
1 cup masa (corn meal)
Chicken & Vegetables:
- Put the pieces of chicken in a pot with the onion and garlic. Fill the pot with water and add salt to taste. Cook for 35 min. on medium heat.
- Boil the chayote, green beans, and potatoes in water until they are cooked but still firm, "al dente." About 7 min. Set aside.
- First clean the chiles by wiping them with a wet cloth. Proceed to dry roast the chiles, until they are nicely toasted (about 1 min. on each side). Remove the stems, seeds and veins. Soak the chiles in a saucepan with 2 cups of boiled water for 5 min to soften.
- Meanwhile, roast the onion, garlic and tomatoes, until evenly toasted. The skin all around the tomato should turn black, about 7 min.
- Next, strain the soaking chiles and put them in a blender with the garlic, onion, tomato, pepper, clove and cumin. Blend in blender to obtain a smooth mixture.
- Strain the blended mixture and pour into a hot skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil or lard. Allow to cook for 5 min. at medium heat.
- Put the masa (cornmeal) in a blender along with 1 ½ cups of chicken broth and blend until it has reached a smooth consistency. Add this to the sauce and cook for 5 min stirring constantly over medium heat. Season the mole with fresh yerbasanta or cilantro and salt. Cook for 7 min over low heat, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Finally, add the cooked chicken and vegetables. Remove from heat when chicken and vegetables are warmed. Serve hot.
| Top of page |
Main index |
What's new |
The Pacific Coast of Mexico